Environmental Management at GEH Wasserchemie
In our everyday business, the protection of the environment is always an issue, whether it is the treatment of drinking water or the purification of wastewater. However, the production of our adsorption media also has an impact on the environment. Therefore, we have been operating an environmental management system for several years in order to avoid harmful effects of our operational processes.
Our product GEH® is used for the treatment of drinking water and the purification of surface water and wastewater as well as for the remediation of groundwater. Due to its high effectiveness, the existing environmental pollution with harmful substances is reduced, thus making an important contribution to improving the environment. For example, our GEH® removes arsenic or other toxic elements from groundwater and enables a safe drinking water supply. Another field of application is the remediation of groundwater contaminated with heavy metals. Wherever the soil is contaminated with arsenic, vanadium, lead, copper, zinc, or other harmful substances and these are also found in the groundwater, GEH can be used to permanently remove them from the environment.
The natural consequence of this is that we also design the production of the product GEH® to be environmentally friendly and keep the environmental impact of our industrial activities at the lowest possible level.
We operate a certified environmental management system
We have been successfully running a quality management system according to ISO 9001 and an energy management system according to ISO 50001 for a long time. The logical consequence was to have our environmental management system (EMS) certified according to ISO 14001. After successful auditing by TÜV Nord, the ISO 14001 certification took place in December 2021.
With the introduction of the environmental management system according to ISO 14001, we want to increase the environmental performance of our company and improve the environmental compatibility of our economic activities.
The scope includes the following processes:
- Production and distribution of iron-based adsorption granulates for water treatment.
- Research & development
- Design of water treatment and wastewater treatment plants using fixed bed technology
- Support in the replacement and disposal of used adsorbents
Here we concentrate on the important environmental aspects:
- Use of hazardous substances in production: avoidance and environmentally compatible handling
- Reduction of specific energy consumption and use of regenerative energy sources
- Reduction of specific water consumption and wastewater generation
- Reduction and optimal recycling of waste quantities
- Avoidance of other emissions (e.g. noise, heat, etc.)
- Optimisation of emergency management